COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE END OF THE POST GRADUATE TRAINING WORKSHOP ON EFFECTIVE M.SC AND PH.D SUPERVISION ORGANIZED BY CEFTER AT THE GEORGETOWN HOTEL, ABUJA FROM 17 TH – 19 TH JANUARY, 2018.
The Centre for Food Technology and Research (CEFTER), Benue State University organized a three (3) day PG Training Workshop with the theme: “Effective M.Sc. and Ph.D Supervision”. The event took place at the Georgetown Hotel, Gwarinpa, Abuja from Wednesday, 17 th to Friday 19 th January, 2018.
The workshop was organized with the core objective of building the capacity of academic staff in supervision and to provide a platform for participants to exchange ideas and share experiences. The workshop drew participants across all Faculties within the University as well as Partner Institutions.
The workshop had the following renowned international facilitators who made
very incisive presentations:
1. Prof. Edward Omudu - Benue State University, Makurdi
2. Dr. Robert Evans - University of Copenhagen
3. Dr. LeneMoller Madsen - University of Copenhagen
4. Dr. Sofie Kobayashi - University of Copenhagen
The workshop covered a wide range of relevant topics delivered through
presentations, discussions and exercises over three days comprising the
- Outcomes and capabilities of M.Sc and Ph.D education
- Responsibilities in supervision
- Building a robust supervisory relationship
- Motivation and self-efficacy
- Self-assessment and competence development planning
- Supervisory styles and aligning expectations
- Formative feedback
- Personal supervision plan
- Collaboration among supervisors
- Handling challenges in supervision